Thursday, January 04, 2007

Cajamarca, Peru

My cousin Syringa recently moved to Cajamarca, Peru. She very generously shared some experiences with me. This one is from a Circuit Assembly she attended in November.
At the assembly there were two elderly women who got baptized. They looked to be the same age but they were mother and daughter, 90 and 70 years old. The daughter is deaf and they both walk using a cane but they had huge smiles when they got baptized, as did the rest of us. They were wearing their traditional Peruvian clothes and hats. Here's their picture:
They are the two in the middle

These two new sisters wasted no time and decided to sign up for auxiliary pioneering in January. If they make their time and have a good month they plan on going to reg. aux. pioneering. The daughter is deaf however and does not know sign language, so in order to preach to people she draws pictures of the paradise and then has the householder read a scripture that corresponds with her drawing. Isn´t that amazing?! How often do we come up with excuses not to do more in our service to Jehovah?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so crazy that a mother and daughter could look the same age and be old ladies together, because I always think of them as being in two different generations! Anyway. So the daughter was born deaf? I was thinking so when you said that she didn't know Sign Language.

That was a beautiful story! I often think when I'm out in service, "What thing better could I be doing?!"

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and if I had a serious disability like that I'd proabably allow it to hold me back, but she doesn't. She's a great inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Syringa totally rocks the casbah. What an encouraging experience! I love that chica.

Anonymous said...

You mean it doesnt really say 'rock the cat box?', how disappointing :( Anyhow, I thought that was an AWESOME experience.

Anonymous said...

Rocking the catbox is what my parents' cat Foxy does. All the time.
Smelly cat, smelly cat, what are they feeding you?

Anonymous said...

lolol... thanx for explaining the difference ;)
love that episode of 'friends' by the way.

Anonymous said...

Phoebe rocks.....the catbox!!!

Chai said...

Wow that's a really encouraging experience. Aw they look so cute with their hats... Won't it be awesome to meet them in the new system?

Anonymous said...

ahem, our cat also rocks the lap when he purrs.

without the smell.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful experience, I know I'm not the first to say that. Think of it, that could be me and Saje there!! Or me and Roberta!!!!

In a few years.

But wait, the future holds something better for the two new sisters; they will de-age with us until we're all at our prime!!

Thanks for sharing this with us, Saje.

Love,
Mom